Sunday, February 19, 2012

Psalm 143

Here are the youversion notes from this morning's sermon.

Psalm 143:1-12 NIV
lord, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for mercy; in your faithfulness and righteousness come to my relief. Do not bring your servant into judgment, for no one living is righteous before you. The enemy pursues me, he crushes me to the ground; he makes me dwell in the darkness like those long dead. So my spirit grows faint within me; my heart within me is dismayed. I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done. I spread out my hands to you; I thirst for you like a parched land. Answer me quickly, lord; my spirit fails. Do not hide your face from me or I will be like those who go down to the pit. Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life. Rescue me from my enemies, lord, for I hide myself in you. Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground. For your name's sake, lord, preserve my life; in your righteousness, bring me out of trouble. In your unfailing love, silence my enemies; destroy all my foes, for I am your servant.


Sermon Notes

In this psalm David presents many requests to the Lord, all of which may be summarized in two prayers: “Hear me” (vv. 1-6) and “Answer me” (vv. 7-12). The basis for David’s prayer was the character for God, His faithfulness and righteousness, attributes that are mentioned again in verse 11. God is righteous in all that he does because he is holy, and he is faithful to his covenant and his promises. We plead these attributes when we confess our sins to the Lord and claim his forgiveness. What were the answers for which David was waiting anxiously? Well, I think they are the same answers we want to receive today. We want to see God’s face: David had often heard the priestly benediction declare that God’s face would shine upon His people in gracious blessing, but if God was displeased, he would hide his face from them. We want to hear God’s word: To see his smile and hear his voice gives us the strength we need to overcome the enemy. Another answer we receive from the Lord is a knowledge of the will of God. A knowledge of God’s will gives us confidence in the difficulties of life; it keeps us going when the going gets tough. And finally God answers prayer by helping us bring glory to his great name (vv. 11-12). For thy name’s sake… was the great motivation of David’s life and ministry. Draw close to God; He's all you need!

And here are my copious notes.

Too often God is our last resort instead of our first! Why do we wait?

When we pray we need to do so expecting God to answer us! How often do we pray without expecting an answer? How often are we surprised when He does?

We need to hand all things, good and bad, over to a God that is great and expect Him to respond.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

May God bless you richly this week.

Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment