Sunday, December 30, 2012

Going, not knowing

No you version notes again this week, I think our COs has given up on them considering that next week is their last week with us before moving to Wagga Wagga, so you will have to put up with my sparse notes.

Alice in Wonderland came to a junctions and didn't know which way to go and asked one of her companions to guide her. She was asked where she was going and when she replied that she didn't know her companion suggested that it didn't matter which road she took in that case.

When we come to crossroads, sometime we need to step out in faith. We don't know what lies ahead.

The reading for today came from Act 20: 22-28


22“And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. 23I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. 24However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.
25“Now I know that none of you among whom I have gone about preaching the kingdom will ever see me again. 26Therefore, I declare to you today that I am innocent of the blood of any of you. 27For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God. 28Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.

Most people like to be in control (or at least like to think they are). They like to plan ahead and know what's coming up, but sometimes you need to step out in faith, like Paul going to Jerusalem.

No matter what happens in our life, change of leadership, change of circumstances, etc, we need to be spirit filled people, compelled by the love of Christ to encourage fullness of life in our community (this last bit comes from our church mission statement).

Our corps is going through a fairly major change right now with our officers of 3 years getting posted to a new corps and new officers, fresh out of college, arriving to take over in a couple of weeks, but we as a church have to keep our focus on God.

May God bless you richly this week.

Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment